The International Council for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (ICIAM) has adopted the policy that in non-Congress years it will give support to existing conferences (typically to three conferences per year), with the support used to fund a number of ICIAM Fellowships for participants from developing countries and regions.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, ICIAM offers support for virtual meetings, for example by sponsoring waivers of registrations fees for participants from developing countries, or by supporting streaming or recording services. ICIAM encourages conference organizers to apply for support for virtual meetings using the general principles below.
The following principles will govern this support.
Applications should be submitted a year in advance by email (email@example.com) to the ICIAM Secretary. There is no prescribed form for the application. Applicants should give details of the conference, the organising body, and the plans for the use of ICIAM funds (including the plans for support through ICIAM Fellowships).
- Each year there will be two rolling deadlines on 30 April and 31 October each year. The decision on which conferences to support, if any, will be made by the ICIAM Officers within one month of each of the deadlines. The Officers' decision will be final.
- The level of support will be up to USD 3,500 per conference: a proportion of these funds is normally paid upfront when the application has been approved, and the remaining funds are paid after the conference has taken place and the report has been received and approved by the ICIAM Officers.
- The ICIAM funds are expected to be used to fund a number of ICIAM Fellowships for selected delegates from underdeveloped countries and regions.
- The selection of the ICIAM Fellowship recipients and the determination of their level of support will be the responsibility of the conference organisers.
- The existence of the ICIAM Fellowships should be advertised under that name on the conference web site, and the support of ICIAM acknowledged in an appropriate way on that web site and in printed materials for the conference.
- Within six months of the end of the Conference a report should be submitted to the ICIAM Secretary, secretary@iciam,.org. The report should briefly describe the scientific achievements of the conference, list the recipients of the ICIAM Fellowships and where they travelled from, and indicate the funds expended through each ICIAM Fellowship.
- Unexpended funds must be returned to the ICIAM Treasurer.
- Other things being equal, preference will be given to conferences held in developing countries.