Owing to the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2020 ICIAM board meeting was held successfully online on September 26, 2020. At the board meeting, I reported several major activities of ICIAM since the 2019 board meeting, which include:
1) The officers had the first meeting by a telephone call on December 3, 2019. Owing to the COVID-19 pandemic, the traditional face-to-face officers’ meeting supposed to be held at Amsterdam in March 2020 was replaced by another telephone meeting on April 1, 2020. Another officers’ meeting was held online on August 11, 2020 to prepare for the board meeting.
2) Maria Esteban has replaced Barbara Keyfitz and Taketomo Mitsui as the new chair of the ISC committee, and Luis Vega has replaced Volker Mehrmann as the chair of the membership committee. The officers proposed to set up the ICIAM Dianoia Editorial Board Committee. The Board meeting approved the creation of this committee, and Barbara Keyfitz will be its first chair.
3) The scientific program committee (SPC) for ICIAM 2023 has been finalized between the officers and the chair of the SPC. The President has signed an MOU between ICIAM and JSIAM regarding ICIAM 2023. The MOU sets the License fees for ICIAM 2023 at USD 40,000 and defines the reimbursement rules for invited speakers and prize winners.
4) The officers have discussed the rules for the canvassing committee for the ICIAM prizes. According to the rules, the ICIAM past president, Maria Esteban, is the chair of the canvassing committee for the ICIAM prizes. The officers have discussed and approved the composition of the canvassing committee.
5) The president has written to member societies asking for efforts on using mathematics in the study and control of the coronavirus. At its website, ICIAM has created a page with links to pages on mathematical works for fighting the coronavirus.
6) The officers have discussed and taken up a suggestion from Jose A. Cuminato (SBMAC) to create the ICIAM Industry Prize. The new prize was approved at the Board meeting.
7) The president has signed the MOU on the establishment of a Standing Committee for Gender Equality in Science (SCGES). ICIAM is one of the founding partners of SCGES. The officers have appointed Carol S. Woodward (SIAM) as the ICIAM representative in SCGES, and Guiying Yan (CSIAM) as a deputy representative.
8) The officers have discussed how to stress the second “I” in ICIAM, and have exchanged ideas on how to promote mathematics in industry worldwide, including the possibility of creating an industry committee.
9) ICIAM has received three pre-bids for hosting ICIAM 2027. They are from Brazil (SBMAC), The Netherlands (KWG and PWN), and New Zealand (ANZIAM). Later, the Brazilian bid was withdrawn. The Board agreed to encourage both remaining bidders to prepare full bids for ICIAM 2027.
10) ICIAM has approved three applications from developing countries for 2020 meeting support. But all these conferences were cancelled or postponed due to the COVID-19.
Now, ICIAM has six prizes: the ICIAM Collatz Prize, the ICIAM Lagrange Prize, the ICIAM Maxwell Prize, the ICIAM Pioneer Prize, the ICIAM Su Buchin Prize and the ICIAM Industry Prize, see http://www.iciam.org/iciam-prizes.