With COVID-19 practically cancelling all but essential travel, conferences, workshops, and seminars have turned to the virtual meeting space in cyberspace. Conference organizers are finding new and innovative ways to make online meetings fun and enjoyable, including separate channels for informal coffee breaks, slack channels for follow-up questions, and even breakout sessions and mini-symposia.
Two types of events have sprung up. First, a number of conferences and workshops that had already been scheduled to take place in physical venues have been converted to online meetings. Some have already taken place and their content is available online. A partial list of meetings includes
Past Meetings (online content available):
- Mixed Integer Programming Workshop 2020 https://sites.google.com/view/mipworkshop2020/home
- SIAM Conference on Mathematics of Data Science (MDS20) https://www.siam.org/conferences/cm/conference/mds20
- SIAM Conference on Life Sciences (LS20) https://www.siam.org/conferences/cm/conference/ls20
Upcoming Meetings (current at time of this publication):
- SIAM Conference on Imaging Science (IS20) July 6-17, https://www.siam.org/conferences/cm/conference/is20
- Second Joint SIAM/CAIMS Annual Meeting (AN20) July 6-17, https://www.siam.org/conferences/cm/conference/an20
- SIAM Workshop on Network Science (NS20) July 9-10, https://www.siam.org/conferences/cm/conference/ns20
- MPE20 (Mathematics of Planet Earth) most likely happening Aug. 3-14, program will be available from website:
- ED20(Applied Mathematics Education) currently weighing option of offering some content online:
A recent workshop, organized by ECMI, https://ecmiindmath.org/2020/05/04/mathematics-of-the-covid19-crisis-an-ecmi-webinar, is reported on elsewhere in this issue of ICIAM Dianoia.
In addition, there are many Ongoing Seminar Series of interest to the ICIAM community. A comprehensive list of research seminars can be found at https://researchseminars.org/. This is a searchable site that includes seminars in a number of fields.
Some seminars of particular interest to ICIAM members include
- Discrete Optimization Talks (DOTs) https://talks.discreteopt.com/
- One World Imagine Seminars (Imaging and Inverse Problems) https://sites.google.com/view/oneworldimagine
- Center for Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence Colloquium http://cmai.science.gmu.edu/index.php/events/#colloquium
- E-NLA Online seminar series on Numerical Linear Algebra https://sites.google.com/view/e-nla/home
- One World Optimization seminar https: https://owos.univie.ac.at
- One World PDE Seminar https://people.bath.ac.uk/mw2319/owpde/
Many apologies if this eclectic list has omitted a seminar that you follow or organize and would like to publicize. Please send additional items to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will include them in the next issue of ICIAM Dianoia.