Dear Presidents and Representatives of Member Societies of ICIAM,
Following current rules, the online 2024 ICIAM Board meeting will be the place to present and discuss the pre-bids for ICIAM 2031. Only pre-bids approved by the Board will be allowed to present a complete bid, to be discussed in the 2025 Board meeting, where the final decision will be made about who will organize ICIAM 2031.
If your society plans to bid for ICIAM 2031, please read the following document describing how to prepare a bid. Note that in a pre-bid details have to be given to the Board about location, organising group, some plans about financial issues, the scientific program committee (SPC), etc., but the pre-bid document does not need to contain the precise and complete information that a final bid contains. As written in the attached rules, pre-bids should be sent to me no later than April 30, 2024, and it is possible to submit the document by email.
If you plan to prepare a bid I would appreciate that you let me know. And, of course, please feel free to ask me, or any of the Officers, any question or doubt that you might have during the preparation of the pre-bid document.
Wil Schilders, President of ICIAM
Bidding Process for ICIAM 2031
International Council for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (ICIAM)
Member societies are invited to apply to hold the Twelfth International Congress of Industrial and Applied Mathematics in 2031.
Rules and resolutions concerning the process
The application process is governed by the “Rules”, given below, and by the following resolution of the ICIAM Board at its meeting in Helsinki in May 2001.
a) Prior to deciding about the location of each ICIAM Congress, the Council, at its Annual Board meeting, will decide on the amount of a financial compensation (license fee) for the use of ICIAM’s name.
b) The amount has to be decided for each Congress.
c) The payment must be transferred at the latest by the end of the Congress.
d) Should there be other smaller conferences where ICIAM’s name is to be used, a similar policy will be implemented.
The ICIAM Board, at its next online meeting on Monday, June 17, 2024, will set the license fee for the Twelfth Congress in 2031 (as a reminder, the license fee for ICIAM 2027 was set at USD 44,000). In addition, the local expenses, including registration fee and travel expenses, of the six ICIAM prize winners and the Olga Taussky-Todd lecturer, are to be covered by the Congress organizers.
Timetable for applications
- The first of the rules below specifies that the pre-proposal should be submitted, in written form, to the ICIAM Board seven years in advance. In the present circumstances this is interpreted to mean that the pre-proposal should be submitted to the online meeting of the Board on Monday, June 17, 2024. While applications submitted at the meeting itself will be admitted, the Officers request that if possible, applications should be submitted to the ICIAM President, Wil Schilders, no later than April 30, 2024. In this respect “written form” will be considered to allow submissions to be made via email.
At this stage the required amount of documentation is small but do please note the requirement to specify both the location and a preliminary budget.
- The second of the rules below is expected to be interpreted by the online meeting of the Board on Monday, June 17, 2024, in the following way:
Some of those who submit an application as above will be invited to submit a more detailed application by November 17, 2024. At this second stage it is important that a more detailed budget be presented, and that a Congress Director be nominated. This is a person who is willing and able to devote considerable time and effort to the project until the Congress in 2031. Past precedent suggests that the Board will also be expecting to see detailed consideration given to the question of how the expected high scientific level is to be achieved.
The early date for the detailed submission, namely middle of November 2024, is to allow the Officers to arrange site visits to each of the remaining candidate sites, and for the reports of the site visits to be consolidated, before the Board meeting to be held in 2025. Of course, no Officer who may be perceived to have a conflict of interest will take any part in the selection process.
The final decision on the site of the 2031 Congress will be made by the Board at its meeting in 2025.
Approved by ICIAM in Helsinki, May 2001
Distributed to member societies, January 2024
Wil Schilders, President, ICIAM
(See the following ‘Rules concerning the application for an ICIAM congress’.)
Rules concerning the application for an ICIAM congress
- An application for hosting and organizing an ICIAM congress should be submitted to the ICIAM Board seven years in advance. This application is to be submitted in written form and should propose a location and a budget outline.
- Six years in advance a Congress Director should be nominated and a more detailed budget submitted. On the basis of this information the ICIAM Board will make its decision on the applicants.
- Five years in advance the hosting society makes a proposal for the chair of the Scientific Program Committee (SPC) to the ICIAM Board which has the final say and appoints the SPC Chair at this time.
- Four years in advance the SPC Chair submits to the ICIAM Board a proposal concerning the SPC members. Again, the final decision on the composition of the SPC is made by the ICIAM Board (four years in advance). Members of the SPC are individual members and cannot delegate this membership to other representatives. The SPC should be of reasonable size (24–27 members) and of exceptional scientific qualification. The member societies should be involved in the selection of SPC members.
- Some two years in advance the ICIAM Board will approve/disapprove (not modify) the list of invited speakers submitted by the SPC. The invitations of the invited speakers should be signed by the Congress Director and the SPC Chair.
- The organizers of ICIAM Congresses are urged to stick to the successful structure of previous ICIAM Congresses. At all of these Congresses the scientific programme consisted of:
• invited lectures;
• contributed presentations in lecture form; and • contributed presentations in poster form.
All types of presentations have to be included, all being weighted equally. Contributed papers have to be accepted to the extent practically possible (a factor to be considered in the choice of a conference venue).
In the composition of the mini-symposia program the member societies, invited by the ICIAM President, are asked to take an active role. The SPC should make sure that all fields, especially those not covered by invited speakers, are represented at the ICIAM Congress and are of highest possible quality.
Approved by CICIAM in Sydney, 29 July 1997.
Revised December 2003 to change ‘CICIAM’ to ‘the ICIAM Board’, and ‘CICIAM Chair’ to ‘ICIAM President’.