RESEARCH GRANTS FOR DEVELOPING COUNTRIES
The Call for Applications is now open for the research grants for developing world scientists at TWAS, the World Academy of Sciences. https://twas.org
Under this scheme, grants are awarded to promising high-level research projects in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics carried out by scientists in one of the eligible S&T-lagging countries identified by TWAS. Grants are available for both individual early career scientists as well as research groups.
Research Grants to individual scientists amount to a maximum of USD 15,000; grants to research groups may be up to USD 30,000.
The grants, which are normally provided for a period of 24 months, may be used to purchase scientific equipment, consumables and specialized literature (textbooks and proceedings only). They do not cover salaries of researchers and/or students, field expenses, or travel expenses. In addition, the purchase of laptops, tablets, drones and laboratory animals is not supported.
- Individual applicants must be nationals of developing countries. They must hold a PhD, be at the beginning of their careers, but already have some research experience. They must hold a position at a university or research institution in one of the S&TLCs and be under 45 years of age.
- Applying research units must be led by a renowned researcher who is a national of a developing country, who holds a PhD and who has good research experience. The research unit should operate within a university or a research institution in one of the S&TLCs and should include a minimum of the Principal Investigator (group leader), plus at least two PhD-qualified researchers and a number of PhD and MSc students, technicians, etc. There is no age limit for unit leaders.
- Applicants must at the time of application NOT have an active research grant with TWAS or OWSD Early Career Women Scientists (ECWS) Fellowship.
- Applications from women scientists and those working in Least Developed Countries are especially encouraged.
For more information about the individual research groups including how to apply, see: https://twas.org/opportunity/twas-research-grants-programme-basic-sciences-individuals
For more information about the grants to research groups, including how to apply, see: https://twas.org/opportunity/twas-research-grants-programme-basic-sciences-groups
The deadline for applications for both grants is April 14, 2021.
For opportunities for women, see also www.owsd.net
* COUNTRIES ELIGIBLE FOR THE GRANTS
Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Côte d'Ivoire, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Honduras, Kenya, Kiribati, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mongolia, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Paraguay, Rwanda, São Tome and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Swaziland, Syrian Arab Republic, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tuvalu, Uganda, Vanuatu, West Bank & Gaza Strip, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe.