International Council for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (ICIAM)
Member societies are invited to apply to hold the Eleventh International Congress of Industrial and Applied Mathematics in 2027.
Rules and resolutions concerning the process
The application process is governed by the “Rules”, (reprinted below), and by the following resolution of the ICIAM Board at its meeting in Helsinki in May 2001.
a) Prior to deciding about the location of each ICIAM Congress, the Council, at its Annual Board meeting, will decide on the amount of a financial compensation (license fee) for the use of ICIAM’s name.
b) The amount has to be decided for each Congress.
c) The payment must be transferred at the latest by the end of the Congress.
d) Should there be other smaller conferences where ICIAM’s name is to be used, a similar policy will be implemented.
The ICIAM Board, at its next meeting in Glasgow (UK), on Saturday, 23 May 2020, will set the license fee for the Eleventh Congress in 2027 (as a reminder, the license fee for ICIAM 2023 was set at USD 40,000). In addition, the local expenses, including registration fee and travel expenses, of the five prize winners and the Olga Taussky-Todd lecturer, are to be covered by the Congress organizers.
Timetable for applications
- The first of the rules below specifies that the pre-proposal should be submitted, in written form, to the ICIAM Board seven years in advance. In the present circumstances this is interpreted to mean that the pre-proposal should be submitted to the meeting of the Board in Glasgow (UK), on Saturday, 23 May 2020. While applications submitted at the meeting itself will be admitted, the Officers request that if possible, applications should be submitted to the ICIAM President, Ya-xiang Yuan, no later than 31 March 2020. In this respect “written form” will be considered to allow submissions to be made via email.
At this stage the required amount of documentation is small but do please note the requirement to specify both the location and a preliminary budget.
- The second of the rules below is expected to be interpreted by the meeting of the Board in Glasgow (UK), on Saturday, 23 May 2020, in the following way:
Some of those who submit an application as above will be invited to submit a more detailed application by 31 October 2020. At this second stage it is important that a more detailed budget be presented, and that a Congress Director be nominated. This is a person who is willing and able to devote considerable time and effort to the project until the Congress in 2027. Past precedent suggests that the Board will also be expecting to see detailed consideration given to the question of how the expected high scientific level is to be achieved.
The early date for the detailed submission, namely the end of October 2020, is to allow the Officers to arrange site visits to each of the remaining candidate sites, and for the reports of the site visits to be consolidated, before the Board meeting anticipated to be held in 2021. Of course, no Officer who may be perceived to have a conflict of interest will take any part in the selection process.
The final decision on the site of the 2027 Congress will be made by the Board at its meeting in 2021.
Approved by ICIAM in Helsinki, May 2001
Distributed to member societies, December 2019.
Ya-xiang Yuan, President, ICIAM
Rules concerning the application for an ICIAM congress
- An application for hosting and organizing an ICIAM congress should be submitted to the ICIAM Board seven years in advance. This application is to be submitted in written form and should propose a location and a budget outline.
- Six years in advance a Congress Director should be nominated and a more detailed budget submitted. On the basis of this information the ICIAM Board will make its decision on the applicants.
- Five years in advance the hosting society makes a proposal for the chair of the Scientific Program Committee (SPC) to the ICIAM Board which has the final say and appoints the SPC Chair at this time.
- Four years in advance the SPC Chair submits to the ICIAM Board a proposal concerning the SPC members. Again, the final decision on the composition of the SPC is made by the ICIAM Board (four years in advance). Members of the SPC are individual members and cannot delegate this membership to other representatives. The SPC should be of reasonable size (15–20 members) and of exceptional scientific qualification. The member societies should be involved in the selection of SPC members.
- Two and a quarter years in advance the ICIAM Board will approve/disapprove (not modify) the list of invited speakers submitted by the SPC. The invitations of the invited speakers should be signed by the Congress Director and the SPC Chair.
- The organizers of ICIAM Congresses are urged to stick to the successful structure of previous ICIAM Congresses. At all these Congresses the scientific programme consisted of:
- invited lectures;
- contributed presentations in lecture form; and
- contributed presentations in poster form.
All types of presentations have to be included, all being weighted equally. Contributed papers have to be accepted to the extent practically possible (a factor to be considered in the choice of a conference venue).
In the composition of the minisymposia program the member societies, invited by the ICIAM President, are asked to take an active role. The SPC should make sure that all fields, especially those not covered by invited speakers, are represented at the ICIAM Congress and are of highest possible quality.
Approved by CICIAM in Sydney, 29 July 1997.
Revised December 2003 to change ‘CICIAM’ to ‘the ICIAM Board’, and ‘CICIAM Chair’ to ‘ICIAM President’.